Tuesday, February 8, 2011

New Review - 'The Way Back'

Hey, you can check out my review of 'The Way Back' starring Jim Sturgess, Ed Harris and Colin Farrell at the website of The Gauntlet, University of Calgary's newspaper:

http://thegauntlet.ca/story/15230

Here are my yuking scores...


Story (10) - 8
Genre (10) - 8
Characters (5) - 4
Believability (5) - 4
Filmmaking (10) - 8
Enjoyment (10) - 8

The Way Back - out of yukes
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Feel free to leave comments on here if you wish. It's not my normal reviewing style, but it's nice to get published. Look for a review of Another Year coming out in this week's edition of The Gauntlet.

... you just got UC-ed! (haha.... yuked, University of Calgary style)

1 comment:

  1. I saw the Way Back last weekend and I liked it, but I wasn't blown away like I was hoping. I think that you were right that we didnt get to know the characters, very well. I have wondered whether this was a deliberate act on Weir's part given that Mr Smith said that you should never give away too much of yourself in case they used it against you in the camps.

    I also thought that the ending seemed kind of rushed and anti-climatic given that their trek through the himalayas wasn't shown nor Mr Smith's departure from the group.

    I did like it though, perhaps because I am a sucker for the travelling, road style movie. the makeup during the desert scene's were good, and I can see why they were nominated for an oscar in that category.

    I'll probably watch it again when it comes out on blu-ray, but I doubt it is destined to becoming one of my favourites which I am kinda disappoint about. Perhaps I expected too much from Weir given the top notch quality of the Truman Show

    ReplyDelete